Saturday 22 November 2014

Multi-Component Lifestyle Management

Simon Stevens, current head of NHS England has a five year plan for that arm of the National Health Service. High on the agenda of this epic fantasy word salad is;
...the prevention, identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity in adults and children.
Hang on a minute.'Obesity' [type 2 diabetes] is costing the NHS "too much." In order to save money, it must spend more with a failed system that fat people have thus far mostly paid for out of our own pockets? Clearly "the costs of obesity"= how much money will flow into this area, away from others.

I knew once it was clear that enough fat people had seen through dieting, we'd be drawn into the mainstream fold. We did the dieting ourselves and this kind of move demonstrates this. I used to wonder why does anything to do with health seem to spring from the healthcare system, yet somehow fat people pay for something that is supposed to be a health issue?

Not sure whether the (nominal) notion is, close pressure of observation will be a key factor in slimming success. Or whether sufficient numbers of people who lean more towards slimness have grown plump or what to give the appearance of success. Have you noticed the way slimming companies success stories have gone more from fattest to plump?

No matter the obvious failure of calorie manipulation, the crusade keeps rolling on, regardless. Erasing our actions is part of the idea that your size is your discipline.  How will they dress this old rope? GP's must spot all 'overweights' and 'obeses' and direct us to;
..effective multi-component lifestyle weight management services for adults who are overweight or obese (aged 18 and over). ....weight management programmes, courses, clubs or groups that aim to change someone’s behaviour to reduce their energy intake and encourage them to be physically active.
Like this "obesity algorithm"? Basically the same disordered calories in/out based practices that have led us here, sometimes dubbed "behavioural." It's like breathing is "behaviour" because you can hold your breath. The influence of conscious control proves its fully under your conscious control right? The supposed pathway of savings is by helping to;
reduce the risk of the main diseases associated with obesity, for example: coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes and various cancers (endometrial, breast, kidney and colon).
None of which are not associated with a BMI of under 25, no matter the wishful thinking. Does this include the cost of the assault of drugs and surgery on the body, which we know are substantial.
The focus is on lifestyle weight management programmes that:
  • accept self-referrals or referrals from health or social care practitioners
  • are provided by the public, private or voluntary sector
  • are based in the community, workplaces, primary care or online.
We're to be harrassed wherever we go are we?

My first impulse to diet was about aged 7. It represented one of my first conscious, autonomous expressions of total initiative. As a child, you get used to being told what to do all the time, to being micromanaged. Changing my weight through calorie restriction, was my first attempt to design and execute a plan all by myself. With no outside input.

That was a very long time ago. But one thing hasn't changed is that this isn't about the involvement of others, it's about me and my efforts. I've never been to a diet club in my life and wouldn't dream of it. The idea has zero appeal.

What I signed up for-aged 7, till I crashed and burned years later was not at the behest of others, nor with their interference and prying even if that's called creepily "support."

And I think you'll find that's a general unspoken truth about dieting. Its rictus grip over the public imagination is to do with the prospect of avoiding doctors other medical professionals and any other health police. It's something you can do on your own. Everyone yearns to have a means to release the doctor within.

Now whilst I know diets don't work-from personal experience and well as observation. The idea of health in our own hands does.

And I want, we all want more of it, not less. More ways to change, restore alter the functioning of ourselves and our bodies. Marginalizing fat people from healthcare, has edged the medical profession out of the centre of my healthcare. Yes, I'm relatively healthy as in free of disease and that is a privilege.

But that's as it should be in my view. I don't share this desire for well people to keep going to the doctor, no matter the excuse. To me, that's for sick people. That drift is interesting, but I said no to religion and I repeat, my doctor is not my priest, end of story.

I'm even less inclined than ever having seen the sainted medical profession in its full ruthless inglory. As for those who've spent decades ragging fat people, looking down their nose at us can just skip on. I'm disinclined to be a vehicle for them to be rewarded for it.

Their assistance has never and will never be required for me.

So the NHS can skip trying to take hold of my life, unless I request it because its mine. I do not need to be named, to be categorized, told my experience or dictated to in anyway, thanks. And I say that as someone who believes in collective endeavour.

You do not own me. I am not your servant and no bullshit pre-text will allow me to knowingly give up the autonomy that was my first drive to alter my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment